Lavender Shortbread Cookies
Dried lavender is available at Greenacres Michaela Farm.
Simple and sophisticated, these cookies are perfect for tea parties, luncheons, and make the perfect hostess gift when visiting friends.
Recipe courtesy of Victor Sarringhaus
- 2 sticks butter
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour plus more for rolling
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp whole dried lavender buds
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla and beat to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add the flour/cornstarch mixture to the butter/sugar mixture a third at a time, mixing after each addition. Add lavender with the final third of flour mixture. Dough will be crumbly.
- Spread a teaspoon of flour on work surface. Turn out dough and work into a ball. Rub surface with flour. Roll into 1-inch log, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. On a very lightly floured surface, roll dough out to ¼” thick. Cut cookies with a 3" round cutter. Poke holes in cookies with a fork. These cookies will not spread while baking, so they can be placed close together on the cookie sheet.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Color will stay light, but dough will be set. Cool 10 minutes. Makes 20-24 3-inch cookies.